What comes to mind when you think of the following things: cheese, traps and gnawed surfaces? If you thought of mice, then you know just how pesky this pest can be.
While to some, these creatures can be cute and fluffy, this creature is not one that you want in your home.
These pests can pack a serious punch in terms of damage. From spreading illness to causing house fires, these tiny creatures are known for being more than just a nuisance.
If you’re worried that you may have mice, look for the following things:
- Droppings – Mice are able to produce more than 50 droppings per day and they often leave them in food storage spaces, under sinks, inside cardboard boxes, on baseboard or on top of wall beams. Their droppings are roughly ⅛-¼” long and, though they are small, they can transmit diseases such as salmonella and Hantavirus.
- Tracks – Though they don’t really leave a “footprint”, they tend to leave rub marks because of their oily fur.
- Noises from the walls – If you hear scurrying in the walls or in your attic, it’s likely there is a family of rodents to blame.
- Nests – Rodents like dark, secluded places, so nests may be hard to spot. But be on the lookout for things like shredded paper, cotton, insulation and fabric strewn throughout the house. They use these materials to build their home.
- Gnaw marks – Plastic, pipes, wires… Rodents love to chew on your belongings. This can be especially dangerous if they chew on wires because it can cause a house fire.
But don’t worry, there are plenty of ways to prevent these pests.
- Keep any entry points or cracks in the home sealed
- Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces ventilated and dry
- Verify garage and exterior door weather stripping are in good repair. If you can see daylight underneath an exterior door, it is a possible entry point
- Store food in sealed containers
- Do not feed outside pets more than they can consume in one feeding. Spilled food or excess food provides a food source for mice and other wildlife
If you are ready to start a prevention and maintenance plan in your home, Bug Zero is right for you. Our friendly pest control professionals know the ins and outs of preventative pest care and are ready to help you prevent pests like mice today.
Get a quote on treatment today: https://bugzero.com/residential/insectashield/